May Gen Restaurant

Another Fire That Could Have Been Prevented: Grease Fire Causes $325,000 in Damages to May Jen Restaurant

in Fire News by

A popular restaurant in Amherst, NY called May Jen Restaurant had a two-alarm grease fire. Unfortunately, it will take several months to rebuild. There were no injuries, but the grease fire caused an estimated $325,000 in damages.

Firefighters extinguished the blaze after 45 minutes and Amherst officials immediately conducted an investigation. It’s been determined that the fire began in the kitchen and traveled through the exhaust ducts all the way to the roof of the building.

Co-owner of May Jen Restaurant Susan Leong said, “The fire which started at the cook line in the kitchen and spread to the roof was pretty damaging. In addition to the kitchen, there was water in the dining room as well. We are working with our insurance company but it will take several months to rebuild”.

If you are a restaurant owner or facility manager, always remember to have your kitchen exhaust system cleaned properly according to NFPA 96 Standards on a regular schedule. Just like this fire, grease build-up in the exhaust system can quickly ignite and lead to costly damage.

Read more about this grease fire here.