CLEANING TO A HIGHER STANDARD

Category archive

Fire News - page 3

Fire at The Fish Market Restaurant Causes $1.2M Damage

in Fire News by
San Diego fish market fire

San Diego – A fire at The Fish Market restaurant on the Embarcadero caused an estimated $1.2 million in damage Wednesday night, a fire official said.

The grease fire started in the kitchen hood vent system in the attic, said Lee Swanson, spokesman for the San Diego Fire-Rescue Department. It was reported about 6:20 p.m.

About 160 patrons and 75 employees were in the restaurant at the time, said port spokeswoman Tanya Castaneda. The popular restaurant, which is a port tenant, is located on San Diego Bay near the USS Midway.

Some people self-evacuated, while San Diego Harbor Police assisted in evacuating others, Castaneda said. No one was injured.

Large amounts of black smoke were seen billowing from the roof as firefighters arrived, most of it blowing toward the downtown area. Two ladder trucks were extended to the roof. Firefighters cut holes in the roof and the restaurant’s ceiling, Swanson said.

Fire damage was contained to the attic, while the restaurant had smoke and water damage on the first and second floors, he said.

About 35 firefighters and support personnel responded, quickly putting out the initial fire. Several smaller fires were found in the attic, where access was difficult because of the heating/air conditioning vents and ducts, Swanson said.

Castaneda said she did not know how long the restaurant would be closed.

May 27, 2015 – 6:59 pm

Grease Fryer Fire Damages Amarillo Sonic

in Fire News by
Sonic Fryer

Amarillo – A grease fryer fire at an Amarillo Sonic causes about $15,000 worth of damage.

Around 8:30 this morning fire fighters responded to the Sonic on the 7400 block of SW 34th.
Employees told officials grease in the Sonic fryer caught on fire and they couldn’t put it out.
All employees made it out of the building unharmed.
The fire was under control in less than ten minutes.

 


April 23, 2015 – 5:15 pm

Three-Alarm Fire Guts San Jose Restaurant

in Fire News by
Three-Alarm Fire

San Jose – Three-alarm Fire rips through a San Jose restaurant causing major damage and heartbreak.

The incident was reported at 8:27 a.m. at Jimmy’s Restaurant located at 222 W. Capitol Expressway. It was upgraded to a three-alarm fire around 8:40 a.m.

The fire started in the kitchen behind the hood and duct system inside the restaurant. An extinguishment system went off several times, but was unable to extinguish the fire due to its location.

Watching the firefighters battle the flames was hard enough for customers and employees of the restaurant. But for one man, there are no words.

Jimmy Barrous didn’t want to talk on camera. Friends and family tried to console him as smoke poured out of the restaurant he opened decades ago.

Half the kitchen is gone, but the dining area was saved. Employee Gigi Green says Barrous is a great boss.

“I feel bad for Jimmy,” she said. “Everybody loves Jimmy. So it hurts to see that you he has to deal with this.”

 


Ventilation System Fire in DoubleTree Hotel Caused by a Grease Fire

in Fire News by
ventilation system

Austin – Crews say the ventilation system fire that broke out Friday morning at the DoubleTree Hotel in Downtown Austin has now been put out. About 100 firefighters showed up to the high-rise building, of which the top three floors were evacuated.

The hotel is at 401 West 15th St., between Guadalupe and Lavaca streets. Fire crews responded to the hotel around 9:50 a.m., and roads were blocked off in the area.

Someone on the 14th floor said he smelled smoke. Smoke could be seen coming from the top of the building for several minutes.

The Austin Fire Department determined the fire was caused by a grease fire in the kitchen’s ventilation system. All guests are back in the hotel but the kitchen will likely be out of service for the weekend.

Meanwhile, one person was being checked for respiratory issues. It is uncertain where that person was in relation to the fire.


April 10, 2015 – 10:07 am

Grease Fire Damages Wind & Sea Restaurant

in Fire News by
Grease Fire

San Juan Capistrano – A fire caused by a build-up of grease in kitchen ducts resulted in about $120,000 in damage today to a Dana Point Harbor restaurant, a fire official said.

Firefighters sent to the Wind & Sea Restaurant at 34699 Golden Lantern St. at 1:50 a.m. extinguished the flames in 45 minutes, said Orange County Fire Authority Capt. Steve Concialdi.

“OCFA firefighters responded and made an aggressive attack and saved most of the restaurant,” Concialdi said. There were no injuries.

The grease fire damage was estimated at $100,000 to the structure and $20,000 to the contents, Concialdi said.


April 6, 2015

Fire Destroys Cleveland Hot Dog Restaurant Featured on Drew Carey Show

in Fire News by
drew carey show

Cleveland – It was Steve’s Hot Dogs for a time, it was Steve’s Diner after that. The hot dog stand at W. 50th Street and Lorain Avenue on Cleveland’s west side was a staple in thousands of lives and in the opening credits of “The Drew Carey Show.”

It was a neighborhood icon long before the Drew Carey Show video.

A massive fire engulfed the building Tuesday afternoon, triggered by a grease fire in the kitchen.

Fire officials say the building is a total loss, with the cost of the damage estimated at $150,000.

“We have pots for deep frying French fries on the stove– just got outta control. We tried, it was too late. Nothing we could do, just get out of there,” said employee Angel Gonzalez. “I’m sad for all my colleagues and their families and all their lost paychecks.”

“My heart just hurts so much, I loved my job,” says employee Rebecca Heilman.

The business has stood since 1953. It was a triple two fire that had six hoses battling it throughout the early evening.

Several people displaced from their apartments in adjacent buildings because of the fire next door.

Late WKYC reporter Del Donahoo profiled Steve’s Lunch for his “Del’s Folks” segments in 1998. Del passed away in 2014 at age 90.

 


March 18, 2015 – 11:38 am

Fire in Austintown OH Damages Restaurant

in Fire News by
Fire in Austintown

Austintown OH (WKBN) — Fire crews worked Sunday morning to control flames at a Mexican restaurant in Austintown.

Crews were called about 10:15 a.m. to Los Gallos, 920 N. Canfield-Niles Road, after employees reporting for work saw smoke billowing from the building.

Captain Dan Martin said an employee entered the restaurant and tried to locate the fire.

“She opened the door, realized it was on fire and took steps in. She thought maybe she could see something small burning and she basically had to back out because she could barely breathe,” Martin said.

About 30 firefighters from Austintown and Weathersfield Township responded.

Heavy flames and smoke were concentrated in the roof and ceiling. Fire Chief Andrew Frost said multiple renovations in the building made it difficult to battle the blaze.

“It has a lot of dead space in the roof that there is no access to. The fire got into all those little spaces up there,” Frost said.

The restaurant sustained heavy damage inside. Frost said just about everything six feet and above in the building is gone. The fire may have started in bar area and that is where the damage is the most severe.

Los Gallos had not yet opened when the fire began, and no one was hurt.

Customers like Evan Brothers were turned away all day Sunday.

“I hope they can fix it and get back in business because I know every day they are not serving customers, they are losing money,” Brothers said.

A damage estimate is set at about $100,000. The cause is under investigation.


March 15, 2015 – 10:50 am

UPDATED: Bethesda Restaurant Fire Shuts Down Part Of Woodmont Triangle

in Fire News by
Chicken on the Run Fire (Photos via @mcfrsPIO, Mike Landsman)

More than 65 firefighters responded to a cooking equipment fire at a Woodmont Triangle restaurant on Saturday.

MCFRS spokesperson Pete Piringer said the fire started because of grease build up in duct work at the Chicken on the Run restaurant at 4933 St Elmo Avenue.

The fire spread through duct work and smoke was coming from the building’s roof. It caused about $75,000 in damages.

Several businesses were evacuated but there are no reported injuries.

Firefighters closed off St Elmo Avenue between Norfolk Avenue and Old Georgetown Avenue during the response.


March 7, 2015 – 1:25 pm

Go to Top