CLEANING TO A HIGHER STANDARD

Category archive

Fire News - page 6

Sunset Park, NY Neighbors Help Restaurant Owners After Fire

in Fire News by
sunset-park-restaurant-fire
Source : Brooklyn Daily Eagle
By Paula Ktinas


January 5, 2015 – 2:25pm

A family-owned Sunset Park, NY restaurant sustained devastating damage in a two-alarm fire that ripped through the building where the eatery is located, but a group of neighbors is trying to help the owners in the aftermath of the blaze.

The fire erupted in a two-story building at 5311 Fourth Ave. just before Christmas, destroying much of the interior of Borin’Queyz Restaurant, a popular place on the ground floor where local residents often dined on barbecue chicken and other tasty dishes in a home-like atmosphere. No one was injured in the fire, but the blaze has put the restaurant out of business at that location for the foreseeable future, neighbors said.

In the wake of the fire, neighbors are organized a donation drive for the family that owns the restaurant.

“We have collected a modest amount so far,” neighbor Lynn Tondrick told the Brooklyn Eagle on Monday. “I’m asking people to sign a card and we’re going to put money it in and give it to the family. We’re doing it to show our love and support for the family. They live on our block. We are a tight-knit community here in Sunset Park.”

The holiday-time fire “was devastating to the family and the restaurant workers on so many levels,” Tondrick said.

Another neighbor, Sara Mari, spoke to the pastor of her church, the Brooklyn First Church of the Brethren, and together, they came up with another way to assist the family. The church, located at 352 60th St., will hold a fellowship service on Sunday, Jan. 11, at 11 a.m.

Sunset Park Restoration, a neighborhood group led by longtime resident Tony Giordano, is assisting the grassroots fundraising effort. Anyone interested in making a donation can email SunsetParkRestoration2000@gmail.com for information.

“Sunset Park residents are caring people,” Sunset Park Restoration leaders wrote in an email to the Eagle.

The kindness that neighbors are showing to the family is only fair, according to Tondrick, who said the owners have often done favors for local residents.

“They’re lovely people. They would bring neighbors meals to cheer them up if things weren’t going well,” she said.

Tondrick said she and other neighbors hope that the family can open up a new restaurant in another location soon.

Efforts to reach the restaurant’s owners were unsuccessful.

Las Vegas Police Fire Officials Investigating Restaurant Fire

in Fire News by
fire officials investigating restaurant fire

Fire Destroys 100-Year-Old Shawano Restaurant

in Fire News by
Photo by: nbc26.com

Source : NBC 26 
By Brittany Gajewski


Dec 30, 2014

SHAWANO, WI– A fire destroys a popular landmark in Shawano. Anello’s Torch Lite restaurant caught fire around 1:30a.m. Tuesday morning sending flames and thick smoke into the air. No one was injured but the building is destroyed and now the owner is wondering what’s next for her business with a place with a 100-year history of serving meals.

Even through the raging flames, some can still see the memories.

“Always had a good time in there, I was just in there on Sunday night,” says Marvin Schellpfeffer a long time frequenter of Anello’s Torch Lite. He’s in his 80’s now but remembers the first time he visited in his mid 50’s. By that point the restaurant had already been serving meals for about 70 years.

There’s no mistaking that Angelo’s Torch Lite and it’s staff was a light in Itself to the Shawna community.

“It’s a small town bar and everybody seems to know everybody in the place. It was more like a family bar,” adds Scalper.

Since 1897 this was the town’s go to restaurant. Even though the current owner, Rita Mondus, didn’t go there much growing up.

“Oh no. Because I was brought up and raised as a farmer. So we didn’t go out very much to eat in my time,” Mondus says with a genuine smile on her face. She says when she was young the restaurant was called the Continental and the only real time someone in their teens would go there was for prom or a special occasion.

But today the restaurant won’t have any farmers or families stopping by. It’s considered a complete loss by the fire department and Mondus. But today the owner’s pressing issue at hand isn’t her loss, it’s about others.

“I’ve had employees there for 20 some years and what do they do,” says Mondus.

Mondus says after the fire attempted to spread to her home, which is just next door to the restaurant, fire fighters sprung into action. Not just saving her home in the process but her 40 plus animals that she cares for as a petting zoo attraction for the community.

Despite all of the heartache dealt out in less than a few hours, today there is no why me discussion. Just thanks, even praise for those that have helped her along the way.

“We would have lost the house too. They put their lives on the the line. They were out there to do whatever they could do and they were here from the time I called 911…Probably five minutes,” adds Mondus.

Firefighters were able to save the animals in a petting zoo on the property. But the big challenge is how they will feed them with the restaurant gone.

If you would like to find out how you could help visit the Anello’s Torch Lite Facebook page. Their already discussing how the community can help out with the petting zoo.

ORIGINAL STORY….

Fire crews work to put out a fire at Anello’s Torch Lite restaurant early Tuesday morning.

The call came in around 1:30 Tuesday morning.

Massive flames and heavy smoke could be seen coming from the building.

The fire shut down part of Highway 22 in both directions for several hours between Lakeland road, and Richmond Street.

Nobody was inside the restaurant at the time, and no injuries have been reported.

The cause of the fire is still unknown.

 

 

1 4 5 6
Go to Top