Back in 2007, a massive grease fire claimed the lives of two Boston firefighters. The worst part was that this blaze could have been prevented — the kitchen exhaust system was found to be well past its cleaning schedule. Regulations were formally introduced three years later to prevent similar disasters.
All kitchen exhaust cleaning companies in the city must have at least 500 hours of experience cleaning systems and must pass a written exam. As for the restaurants themselves, city officials are immediately notified when an AHJ fails an inspected system.
Seven years later, the enforced regulations have had widespread success in reducing commercial grease fires across the city. Why? Because both the Boston Fire Department and Board of Health took it seriously from the start. They went a step above and assigned staff who spend their days reviewing service reports, conducting site visits, and following up on failed inspections.
Read more on this topic on page 13 of the latest issue of the IKECA Journal here.